You want to see someone’s content on Facebook but are too lazy to hit the ‘Add Friend’ button? How do I follow someone on Facebook without being friends?
Your friend list may be full and have no more room for new friends, or you simply don’t want to slam the add friend button. Whatever the reason, you’re wondering, ‘how do I follow someone on Facebook without being friends?’
Facebook offers a feature to secretly follow a person if you want to update someone’s posts and status without letting them know.
What Does Following Mean on Facebook?
One of the most popular tools on Facebook is the following, yet some users don’t notice that they can take advantage of it to interact with anyone on this platform, even when you are not friends.
This feature functions in two different ways:
- Users can share their thoughts with other people in public, even though their Facebook profile is in the private mode.
- You can view posts from other accounts, such as local journalists, sports stars, and celebrities.
How Do I Follow Someone On Facebook Without Being Friends?
You can follow and unfollow a person on mobile devices or computers without letting them know.
On Mobile App
- Log into your FB account.
Open the FB app and go directly to the News Feed. If you have not logged in, you need to enter your phone number or email address and password.
- Search for the friend
Search the name of the person you want to follow using the search bar. After entering the name, you see many users with the same name.
- Choose the person you intend to catch up with.
- Tap on the ‘three dots’ icon at the top right of their profile. The Profile Settings tab will give you several options
- Choose ‘Follow.’
After choosing the following button, the app will add your name to that friend’s follower list, meaning you can now view all their status and posts that they set in the public mode.
- Log into your FB account.
First, go to the Facebook website. If you have already logged into your account, this link will take you directly to the News Feed tab.
If you have not logged in, enter your phone number or email address and password to reach your news feed.
- Enter the friend’s name you want to catch up in the search bar and press the enter button.
- Choose the account you’re looking for from the list of profiles sharing the same name. After this click, you go to that friend’s profile page.
- Choose the ‘follow’ option.
After clicking on the following option at the top right of their profile, the platform will automatically add your name to that friend’s follower list. You can view all their status and posts that they set in the public mode from now on.
What Can You See After Following Someone?
After following someone, you can view all their public content, including their text- and picture-based posts, videos, albums, and even their likes and comments on other public posts.
If you want to share a post or video with your followers, you can make it public by choosing the menu button below the content box when writing your thoughts, then selecting the public option.
The same steps go if you want to adjust your videos’ or pictures’ visibility.
How To Remove Your Facebook Followers?
Go to the profile of the follower you wish to remove from your follower list. Click on the three dots button at the bottom right of that user’s cover photo.
After this click, that person can no longer add you to their friend list, send messages to you, send invitations to groups, tag you in photos or posts, etc.
If you find the person abusive, go for the ‘Report’ button. It’s possible to report their comment or post on the entire profile.
How To Allow Others To Follow You?
First, you have to activate the following feature in your FB settings. Choose Settings and Privacy, then click on ‘Settings.’
If you want your posts to go public, select ‘Public Posts’ and click on the ‘Public’ option after choosing ‘Who Can Follow Me.’
Other settings to consider are:
- Profile Info: Your profile, including your avatar, short bio, and cover image, will be public, but this setting can restrict who comments on it.
- Post Notifications: You can choose whether or not to receive notifications of users’ activities who are not your friends.
- Post Comments: You can choose whether or not to let strange people leave comments on your posts.
How do I follow someone on Facebook without being friends? Hopefully, you have got the correct answer after reading our article.
While most public figures and celebrities allow people to update their posts without adding friends, a typical user may turn the ‘follow’ setting off. Hence, it also depends on the individual’s settings.